Thread: Experience with 1969 911S so far...

Experience with 1969 911S so far...

Hi,

I have had about six months with my 911 and Raj asked if i could post some of my experiences.

Unfortunately, I have a few caveats...
    Living in NYC with small children does not afford a lot of leisurely driving time. I also made the mistake of showing the car to a mechanic i use...who promptly told me i needed to replace the wheel bearings and then sat on the car for two months. With that said, i have driven approximately 500 miles. While too many of those have been highway miles, i have been able to try various types of roads and driving conditions.

My first impression is that the car is highly usable. Its almost too easy to drive to be a vintage car. I am used to vintage cars being an "experience" - ie, they are work to drive. The size of and visibility in a 911 makes it a car that could be used daily. I have driven it out for the evening in the city a few times. it handles the NYC roads pretty well, is quite docile and doesn't over-heat.

On winding back roads, my best experiences have been keeping the RPMs above 4,000 and then coming on-cam out of a curve when i accelerate. I like the booming thrum i hear on deceleration and the car handles very well. The steering is incredibly sensitive and it almost feels like there is no insulation/deadening material between you and the road. The car feels like a shell if that makes sense.

The final experience, and actually one of my favorites, has been on the FDR (east side highway in Manhattan). To say the highway undulates is an understatement. Going quite fast over these undulations is very exciting as the car moves with the road (there is no swaying, floatiness, etc.). the car felt completely planted and communicated each change in the road via the suspension and steering.

I have driven a friend's 1970 911T and found that car to have a bit more low-end power than the 1969S. I'm not sure exactly why. I went back and read prior posts about people's favorite 911S - i have wondered if i would prefer a 1973 911S for the additional low-end torque. The flip side is i like the lightness of my car and wonder if some of that would be lost in a later variant...

I'm not sure how helpful or insightful this is.

Thanks.

The 69S will always be my favorite S for its mad-as-a-hatter power curve. The T and E are way torquier and are even faster 0-60. On a curvy road or track, it's no contest and the 69S demolishes even Ts and Es of greater displacement. The 69S is everything that was great about the early 2.0L 911 cars, turned up to 11.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Glad to hear you are enjoying the car! I just returned from an evening drive on the longest day of the year. I love mine

There was a thread a few weeks back that seemed to imply it was for sale...
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...nted-1969-911s
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

My 69S experience is similar. I've had mine since Feb 2012 and have prob put 2000 miles on it (don't really know, but mine was gone for 5 months getting an engine rebuild). When people ask me about it, I've always simply said "Raw; unlike anything you've probably ever driven". For me, each drive is an experience because of those great differences to the other classics I've owned. The driver becomes very connected to the car, which feels very connected to the road. Joy to drive - nothing else like it.

- Brian

1966 Mercedes 250SE Cab

We Can Be Heroes

Any üpdates? . . .

. . . always curious if people still enjoy their cars

We Can Be Heroes