Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SSI heat exchangers shipping again

SSI heat exchangers shipping again

Just wanted to let everyone know that SSI is back in production and shipping their goods.

I had placed an order with Vertex way back in February after missing the news that they had sold to Dansk and was unable to get any US produced ones. After a long wait, I just got them this week and thought everyone might want to take a look. I have never seen SSIs in the flesh before, but they look great to me.

I attached some pictures. As you can see, the old ones were about done. I had plugged up one pinhole, I wonder what is lurking under all the sheet metal. I may cut them open some day as I doubt they are worth anything.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Neil
    '73 911S targa

Did they always come in a bag, or is that new? They also still come with the curved 12mm wrench. Why they can't supply nuts that go with it or change it to 13mm, I don't know.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Neil
    '73 911S targa

ah, the end of another planned shortage in the supply/demand relationship.
    John

Early 911 S Registry member 473
    RGruppe member 445

I didn't know that ssi made a left box for MFI. Is that since dansk took over? Back when John Daniels had it they didn't have the left box with the pre heat shroud around it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cabell View Post
    I didn't know that ssi made a left box for MFI. Is that since dansk took over? Back when John Daniels had it they didn't have the left box with the pre heat shroud around it.
    This is new and good news...
    Aaron Hatz
    Flat Six, inc.
    www.flat6.com

Follow us on Facebook
    www.facebook.com/flatsixinc

On the last picture; why does the original heat exchanger have three holes on the bottom and the new one only has two?
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

When the SSI exchanger was made a better routing of the middle pipe was done to get a more equal length than the factory one, so it blocks the attachment hole which is why you get a special crow foot wrench with the exchangers.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by raspy2point2 View Post
    On the last picture; why does the original heat exchanger have three holes on the bottom and the new one only has two?
    The original, U.S. made SSIs also have the two holes configuration for the same reason that Edmayo mentioned.
    Andy (VA).

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cabell View Post
    Yes, they've always made one.
    When I had my 2.7 MFI motor about 15 years ago, I had SSI's with MFI preheat tube.
    -Doug
    2022 Carrera 4S Oslo Blue
    1977 Martini Edition 924
    1989 Lancia Delta Integrale 16V

They sure look good to me which is comforting since I placed my order last week with Vertex. I was told that production was happening again and it would be about four weeks for delivery. When I placed my order by phone, the salesman said they might need to put a deposit on my credit card right away because of the order size (Got the muffler, oil lines, gaskets, etc.) He looked up my account and saw it went back to 2001 so he was cool with not needing a deposit. I mentioned that I went back much further than that as I had ordered parts by phone back in the 80's from a guy named Mike. Didn't know it but Vertex began in the 80's in Mike's garage!
    1967 912 w/3.0 SC motor and tranny, RS door panels, stock body, power windows & brakes, and A/C.

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...us)-1967-912-6

www.jerryforthofer.wordpress.com