Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1970 Burgundy red paint tag

1970 Burgundy red paint tag

I am looking for a reference shot of a paint tag for a Porsche bodied 1970 Burgundy Red Coupe. I believe the stamping would be 2424 followed by a letter designation to signify the paint manufacturer. Can anyone share a reference shot of their tag?
    My email is nicklasliljegren@hotmail.com

Thanks
    Nick

I have a 69 which shouldn't have changed?? I can get a picture of it at the weekend for you if intrested

I also have a 69 which appears to have been that color prior to a couple of Guards red resprays. I'll get a shot of the tag and dash color in the next day or 3
    1973 911 RSR clone..... to be

"And pretty soon you're grabbing gears like they are ten thousand dollar bills."

http://www.kahikocustoms.com/auto-projects

They're different guys, from 69 to 70. 69 was last year of older paint codes, based on the 66 - 68 nomenclature.

In 70, they are all different. See this link as an example:
    http://cprclassic.com/reference/colorcharts/911.html

Do some searching. There are a few threads with extensive pics of paint tags.
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

This thread is most relevant:
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...nt-code-decals

We really need to establish materials and dimensions so that they can be reproduced.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Nicklasliljegren View Post
    . . . looking for a reference shot of a paint tag for a Porsche bodied 1970 Burgundy Red Coupe . . .
    I see that you're located in Stockholm, Nick . . . but you didn't mention whether your car was a European version or not. Is your vehicle's paint tag a decal or a riveted alu plate?

We Can Be Heroes

LongRanger,
    The short answer is that I don´t know wheter its a European or US car. It seems to be a factory mixture of both. The car a 911E, VIN 9110201123 is recorded as a LHD 911E Coupe, engine No. 620221, colour Burgundy, interior Beige, delivered to Porsche Cars Isleworth (near London) in June 1970, delivered to a Mr Mathews on 12th August 1970 and registered with the registration details QM 245 through a dealer listed as NEMET. The dealer NEMET Auto International is located in NYC, and in that time they where specialized in selling cars to US military personnel stationed over seas. The plates used on the car was also temporary plates used by foreigners. I'm not quite sure when the car was brought to the U.S., but think it was the early 70's. I´ve managed to trace some of the previous owners, but sadly not all, and they where located in Ohio (Tom Dunaway, Aaron B Dunaway and Brian Catanzaro). The car was later on exported to Denmark, and professionally restored. The paint tag is missing since the restoration. I cant see no signs of rivet, but you can newer be to sure. So its quite tricky.
    Regards
    Nick

Hey, Nick . . .

Here's a thread that might help ID which version your car is --- US or RoW . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ro+differences

As to the riveted paint tag --- here's some pics . . .

1) 9110300251 (aka 'Gramps') . . . no/missing paint tag

2) 9110300908 . . . decal

3) 9110301094 . . . alu tag w/ 4 rivets

4) 9110300908, again . . . close-up

HtH
    Attached Images Attached Images     

We Can Be Heroes

Thanks,

I´ve realized that my car, or at least its missing paint tag, is not associated with any simple solutions

Regards
    Nick

From my data I believe that the decal started with the introduction of the 1970 model year. It probably proved troublesome by falling off of many cars, an was thus replaced by the riveted plate early in 1970 (perhaps March). Only the Porsche body cars used it as the Karmann cars stayed with the riveted Karmann plate. I do not have enough data (photos of paint badge with known VIN or VIN with known production date from compliance decal) to be sure of very much. If anyone can provide a photo of the badge and a VIN, or a date with the VIN it would really help. Here is the best photo I have of the decal (yes, it has a 68xx paint code as do a few other 1970 examples):
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers