Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are vintage Porsches in a price Bubble?

Are vintage Porsches in a price Bubble?

I removed this post....
    Last edited by Louie; 01-18-2014 at 04:45 PM. Reason: not worth it

I bought mine to drive, any appreciation is unexpectedly wonderful. It certainly can't do any worse than my 07 911 Turbo which new had an MSRP of 156 grand and is worth today about 75k.
    Early 911 S Registry #2701
    930 powered 1973 911T

These threads are silly.

Why the hand wringing?

Just enjoy the car!!!
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

this one too
    Last edited by Louie; 01-18-2014 at 04:46 PM. Reason: wrong crowd

If you want an investment, buy some gold. If you want to have fun in a car, buy an early 911. If the price rises faster than inflation you win, if it drops ( and you still like driving a fun car ) you still win.

Enough already. $0.02 given.
    1996 993 black/tan

Gold...really?

I wish that were true as we invested in gold a few years ago. Hopefully it the value loss reverses this year but I doubt it will.

Now, a gold early 911....now we are talking!

Most of us on this site see our cars as enthusiast toys - not investments. However, when the toy appreciates to over $100k and you didn't pay anything near that to acquire the toy, the toy does become part of a personal investment portfolio. It's simply worth too much to ignore. However, it changes nothing. I'll still drive it.

My 40k-mile w123 wagon? All toy, not investment.
    My 37k-mile 1991 Suburban 4x4? All toy, not investment.
    The Porsche and w111 Cab? All toy, some investment.

- Brian

1966 Mercedes 250SE Cab

Quote Originally Posted by Louie View Post
    Are we in a bubble?

The crash of the Nikkei index in December of 1989 and the Japanese real estate market marked the beginning of that 'correction'

Tim Harris
    Now THAT I remember very well. Worked for Merrill Lynch in Investment Banking/Equity Capital Markets at the time and was the individual who sourced the mandate (based on a cold call, no less) from Banker's Trust NY to issue Nikkei Put Warrants to the public, an instrument whose value increases as the Nikkei index decreases. Our timing was near impeccable as we issued at the high point of the Nikkei Index (give or take a week). This offering was the first public offering of a derivative security in the States which is why the deal was voted one of the "Top Ten Deals on Wall Street" by Investment Dealers Digest. Investors tripled their money, assuming they held 'til the end of the instrument's 3 year term.

Maybe for those who believe we're in a bubble, it's time to issue a Porsche Put Warrant?

Quote Originally Posted by beh911 View Post
    These threads are silly.

Why the hand wringing?

Just enjoy the car!!!
    I think Bryce was more referring to the fact that this thread has been discussed 100 times already and is getting really old. Get out and "Drive it or sell it".
    Mark Erbesfield
    2018 911 Carrera T 7spd manual 😊
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    1982 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FST (Factory Soft Top)
    1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 “Patina Queen”
    1979 MB 450SL "Dad's old car"
    2019 Cayenne "Wife's car"

One sure measure of whether a bubble exists, and when it is close to bursting, is when increasing number of people start to try to justify that 'this time/this circumstance/this asset is different than all the others'. I reference the tech 'bubble' of the early 2000's as a recent example, but I could go back to Issac Newton (no intellectual duffer) and the South Sea Island bubble if you want…. These cars are an indulgence of those with more than their share of the world's assets (me included!) and likely that will equilibrate at some point. In my lifetime, I don't know, but probably. Certainly wouldn't bank the farm on it.

We are talking about cars here, in a time (next 30 yrs for sure) of potentially global catastrophic climate/social/political events, where they possibly will be recognised as just ferrous metal with wheels, with little long or short term utility or intrinsic value. Rag the arse off them while you still can or sell them soon.

So I agree, drive em, or sell em, but don't base your retirement plan on them.
    Y'all have a nice day
    Last edited by MTemp; 01-18-2014 at 02:42 PM.