Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creating a List of Yellow-Plated Parts for '68

Listing of Yellow-Plated Parts for '68: Please Add New Parts

It didn't take long for us to find a small dispute on brake shields, but I'd like to get the discussion back to the identification of yellow-plated parts, especially for '67-'68.

Let me ask a specific question ... were there any yellow-plated parts in the front or rear suspension assemblies?

This thread was initiated in an attempt to accumulate and organize the collective knowledge of the community with regard to "correct" plating for early 911s. I would expect there to be variation between model years, and I expect that there will be some disagreements. We'll simply try to work through it and create whatever consensus is possible.

So if you contribute to the collective wisdom, it will be helpful if you include the model year of your car (including build-date, if you have it), as well as the part #, and maybe a photo or two (for evidentiary purposes).

I am collecting a box of yellow-plated parts for my '68 project, and offer the following as a starting point.

Yellow-plated (zinc or cad) parts from my August, '67-build '68 SWT:

• Brake dust shields (901 351 901 14, etc.)
    • Brake calipers (901 351 965 11, etc.)
    • Front stabilizer lever (901 343 713 01)
    • Stabilizer bearing (pass-through cap) (901 343 754 01)
    • Stabilizer opening cap (901 343 765 00)
    • Cover for radius arm hub (901 333 153 00)

This list includes only the parts that I have removed that showed yellow-plate, and I will add more as I find more. I would appreciate any additional knowledge contributed by other members.

Just so you know, my current intent is to create a running spreadsheet that includes model year, part names, part #s, and if possible, some photos, which can be shared with the community. Please know that I do not assume to be a scholar, myself. I'm simply trying to organize information and make it accessible for future discussion and consultation.

I expect this to be a long-term project. We'll just see how it goes. Thank you, in advance, for your contributions.
    Last edited by mshaver51; 01-22-2014 at 05:31 AM. Reason: update

Front fender retaining screws.

I know 68 is that weird wonderful year where so many things changed, but I have my doubts that the dust shields were yellow at that time, fairly certain they were still black. I'd wait for some more input on that one. The fender bolts were painted black along with the trunk bay, so the color is immaterial. Spring plate cover I'm certain was black.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

I've heard they were yellow zinc as well Ed, but my 10/67 1968 were painted all black and I'm sure were original. When I stripped them for refinishing, they were bare metal except for the bottom third of the backing plate which showed yellow zinc. As if they were partially dipped.

I think you misread my answer, I'm saying I believe the back plates to BE black, but I'm not 100% certain. At any rate as to yours they would have been one or the other, they wouldn't partially dip something. My 67 back plates are also black, I thought the yellow color started in 1970 (maybe 69?) would like to hear from others on this.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

I think you misread my answer The brake backing plates were all black. I was referring to what they looked like after I stripped the paint off of them.

Some things NOT to yellow plate:

Hood and trunk latches + probes. Silver or clear zinc.
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Original brake dust shields on late '68 model year TR (so "S" brakes), front & rear:
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Tim

Early 911S Registry #1167

Something to note...When I was heavily into Boss 302 Mustangs and Shelbys, the parts sold over the counter weren't always the same finish as the "As delivered" parts on the vehicle. Don't know if that was the case with Porsche, but certainly worth noting.

Quote Originally Posted by beh911 View Post
    Some things NOT to yellow plate:

Hood and trunk latches. Silver or clear zinc.
    Although intentional, guilty as charged