Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Door pocket bungee cord installation

Door pocket bungee cord installation

Does anyone know how the factory mounted the bungee cord? I am looking for information on how the 2 hole plastic fastening tabs are mounted.

Thanks,,,
    John

Early 911 S Registry member 473
    RGruppe member 445

John

I am taking pictures tomorrow of another car that supposedly has it perfect as I am grappling with the same issue trying to fit a repro set.

I'll post for you if I get the job done.
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Thanks Clyde! Good luck with the work.
    John

RGruppe member 445

You need patience. And small hands help. Anchor the cord on one end then pull it out to the tension you want. Thread the cord through one hole on the plastic keeper and back down the other hole and tie a knot. Done. It is a keeper. The trick is getting the tension just right.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

Further to what Steve said:

I did this about a year ago and if I recall, I found that tying off the front cord keeper and getting the adjustment out of the rear one was the easiest way to sort the tension out.
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Maybe this helps with the other side. Tony at Autobaun did mine. The tension seems real tight. They slap closed

Name:  001_zps525dfb71.jpg
Views: 1730
Size:  93.5 KB

Thanks guys! So, when I look at Bob's photo of the inside, I think the "keeper" would be installed to the inside of the pocket and knotted there? Am I on target?

There are two holes inside the left and right corners of the pocket, so I guess the bungee cord gets looped going in one hole out and into the other??
    John

RGruppe member 445

If you do a search there are a lot of threads on door pockets.

Hopefully this will help-

"911 LWB Door pocket install

First you want to install the forward most door pocket. The only tricky part is securing the back-most part of the pocket attaching a nut and washer through the backside of the door panel.

The rear pockets, which you referred to a first secured by attaching the black plastic hinges to the bottom of the inner door panels. Do not tighten them down completely until you determine what the correct fitment is by closing the pocket against the armrest. After this is done, securely fasten the screws. If not completely tight, the nuts they attach to will rattle.

Thread the bungee cord through the hole in the armrest around the back of it and then back through the hole on the front metal retainer. Secure the bungee by going through the back of the pocket to the top most hole in the pocket and then back through the other hole, so the end is facing the door panel. Then secure the end with the black plastic 2-hole clip. Repeat with the other.

You want to have enough tension on the bungee to keep the pocket held securely against the arm rest. Of course you want the metal arm with the catch for the folding pocket to go over the the dowl-like arm extending from the rear pocket.

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...=pocket+bungee

let's start with the drivers door. When looking at the pocket, the bungee begins with an overhand knot. that knot is on the back side of the pocket at the far right hole. The bungee then proceeds into the inner pocket and back out through the next hole to the left.

The bungee then heads through a hole in the actual inner door frame, and proceeds to the left (toward the end of the door that opens), where it emerges through a steel/rubber hole that is part of the door armrest. It then loops through the far left hole in the back of the pocket, and returns again to the backside through the second hole from the left where it is fed in and out of the clip. You then take out the excess slack by pulling the excess bungee through the clip, and you are done.

the elastic threads from the top of the pocket into the door panel. You will see holes about level with the top of the pocket where the elastic goes in and comes out a little ways over. It's a loop and it is what holds the pocket closed. The metal bracket holds the door pocket open while you reach in it. There is a little post on the outside end of the pocket to catch on the post.

Yes, it is the vapor barrier (aka plastic sheet). The barrier is one continuous sheet from the top sill down to the top of the door pocket cutout. Then an additional sheet is added which forms an upside down 'V'. One part of the V stays with in the sheet metal for moisture drainage and the other seals at the bottom of the door pocket where it is screwed in. German engineering at it's finest."

Also see this thread regarding tension http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...=pocket+bungee

Remember the knots of bungee cord end up outside the pocket. The little double-holed plastic pieces are there to prevent the door pocket cardboard from wearing quickly.
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

member #1515
    not one of Porsche's finest solutions. If it is tight enough the bungee wears through, if loose the pocket stays slightly open,
    in the end the pocket warps anyway
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

I was pretty sure there were those plastic twin hole clips/washers at both ends of the bungee. They are used to slide along the bungee to increase or decrease tension and to hold the bungee tight against the door pocket. They may also be to prevent wear to the pocket but pretty sure thats not their primary function.

I looked at 6 cars today and all had 2 hole clips/washers at both ends of the bungee so 4 needed for the car, parts manual supports that as it lists "4 washers for elastic" per car.

Post a couple of pics later.
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6