Thread: Vin stamped body panels

Vin stamped body panels

I have started to closely examine my 1968 Fixed Window Targa project. The car was previously painted from Tangerine 6809 to what appears to be Togo Brown, I have taken engine lid off, and have scraped some of the paint and Tangerine color comes through, also after removal of door trim I could see Tangerine on both doors, also removing headlight the buckets appear to be also Tangerine.

I have searched the forum, and it appears that 1967 these various door panels did have 2 or 3 last vin numbers stamped. This seems to be quite random as it comes to 1968. My vehicle had a build date of 11/29/67 and is an early 11880065 build. The fenders are definitely 68 as I can see how they taper in thickness. Am I correct that 68 where not consistent in body stamping? I just want to verify that original panels are in fact what I have.

Here is a shot of the engine lid as I expose the Tangerine looking for the stamping.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    S Registry #1280
    1970 911T
    1968 911 FWT
    1965 356 SC

I'm no expert but it appears that your Decklid is from a 69' or later. I thought 68's had a vertical bar in the center of the grill opening.

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...amped-question
    Scott

There is a central vertical piece on the earlier 68`s…The change occured with the 68 model…Not sure where the id stamp is on this Tang/Togo lid, Likely on the vertical center piece somewhere….Cliff
    To err is human; to blame it on someone else is more human...

"You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are."
    —Juan Manuel Fangio[48]

”What would PORSCHE do”

67 911 de Luxe, 356 B silver metallic / brown interior, ( buck skin really ) 67 PORSCHE [ built ] 912, Crystal blue, black interior, 72 T, Silver metallic/black interior, appearance group,factory AC.

So this lid is correct for a 68?
    S Registry #1280
    1970 911T
    1968 911 FWT
    1965 356 SC

Yes, and probably original with your car being tangerine and all………others intimate with vin stamping should chime in on this!
    To err is human; to blame it on someone else is more human...

"You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are."
    —Juan Manuel Fangio[48]

”What would PORSCHE do”

67 911 de Luxe, 356 B silver metallic / brown interior, ( buck skin really ) 67 PORSCHE [ built ] 912, Crystal blue, black interior, 72 T, Silver metallic/black interior, appearance group,factory AC.

#11880080 is very similarto11880065

I was doing other research on the changeover from soft- to hard-windows and came upon this thread.

According to my research, there were several changes during the '68 model year, and the conversion from SWB to LWB. The changes included the shift from soft- to hard-windows,a s well as changing from the rear decklid with the center bar to the decklid without the center bar. My '68 SWT has the center bar on the rear decklid. the details are sketchy are to when the change was made to the LWB type of decklid (and grill).

As a member of a family of auto workers, the guys who stocked the assembly line did not have a strict regimen. They brought whichever part was easiest to provide, and it was not uncommon to "find" both "old" and "new" parts during an assembly changeover, ESPECIALLY during running changes (i.e., during the model year). (my family, however, did not work for Porsche.)

based on the information presented by Max (SD), inasmuch as the underlying colors matched (and were somewhat unique), i would have no problem believing that his car had the LWB rear decklid in late november, 1967. i would also have no problem believing that some of the body panels were not stamped with the chassis #.

ironically, yesterday a friend and i visited the 60th Porsche Parade in French Lick, IN, and consulted with the Porsche representative that had the cardexes on his laptop. My friend owns #11880080, and the cardex shows that it was built Dec 14,1967 (very close to #11880065), and his car, too, was "blot orange" (blood orange or tangerine).

in my personal view, 'blood orange' is one oft he coolest car colors available. (apologies, but not fond of togo brown.) i hope that #11880065 is being returned to its original color. please share photos, if you can.

If a 68 is like a 69 then there would be 3 digits of the production number stamped on the edge of the vertical u channel shaped support. I have found these digits on 2 different 1969 model year Karmann built coupes.
    I also found these same 3 digits stamped on the inner door shells above where the armrest is positioned.
    I hope this helps.
    Peter
    1969 911T Coupe Blood Orange (Vivy)

Karmann Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Perry911 View Post
    . . . If a 68 is like a 69 then there would be 3 digits of the production number stamped on the edge of the vertical u channel shaped support. I have found these digits on 2 different 1969 model year Karmann built coupes . . .
    Another post + thread . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...l=1#post597394

We Can Be Heroes