Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If I am taking the idle jet out of a weber carb...?

If I am taking the idle jet out of a weber carb...?

If I am taking the idle jet of of my weber carb to check for debris when I put it back does it just screw all the way back down or is it a fine adjustment? I want to pull the jets because the fuel filter had a lot of brownish mud in it. The car has been sitting for about 8 years. Got the engine rebuilt and am going to have the carbs done soon by performance oriented. But for the time being want to drive the car around. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have the factory manuals and both Wayne Dempsey books and they make mention to pull the jets to clean but no more than that. Thanks.....

1971 911T Targa Light Ivory

You can just screw it back into its seat (gently). Only use carb cleaner and compressed air - try not to poke wire down the jet.
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga

Thanks for helping a newbie!!!!!

mad scientist
    When you pull the jet from the carb body (idle jets on top of the carb) the actual jet will be pressed into a threaded holder. Pull the jet from the holder an then "backflush" by spraying through the small orifice. Make sure you can see light through them. Sometimes just blowing the jet while inside the holder will just move the crud from blocking the hole to the other end. This just leaves the crud in place to clog again.

Good luck getting it back on the road.

btw, if you have lots of sediment in your filter you are going to want to pull the gas tank and have it cleaned. Otherwise, this will be a reoccurring problem.
    1971 911T SWT - Sun and Fun Machine
    1972 911T - "Minne" painted and undergoing assembly.

When you say on top of carb do you mean literally on top. Is this not the idle jet (circle with arrow)?

Can anyone identify what the other circled port is for. I believe the main jet carrier is to the left, then the air adjustment screw, and furthest left the progression hole inspection plug (top) and idle mixture screw (bottom)? Do I have these right?

Name:  wcarb3b.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  102.9 KB
    Member #2666

You should dig out Mar 2013 of ESSES.

Name:  IMG_1405.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  123.3 KB
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Be sure the idle jet carrier has its little rubber 'O' ring when you replace it. First time I did this I missed that; it's amazing how badly a fine motor can run without that in place.
    jhtaylor
    santa barbara
    74 911 coupe. 2.7 redone by Competition Engineering; ported to 36mm, shuffle-pinned, boat-tailed, Elgin mod-S cams, J&E 9.5's, PMO's.
    73 Targa (much beloved, sold and off to a fine new home in San Francisco)

Thank you guys for all the tips!!! What a great community. I put a wevo coupler on last night and replaced all of my shift bushings. What a difference!!! I'll report back on the idle jets soon.

I think you are talking about the mixture screw , idle jet has no o ring.

Some idle jets have the o-ring. Some (most) don't. Check Paul Abbott's site for clarification. (Google performance oriented)

After cleaning, I like to insert the idle jet 1/2 way into the carrier then screw it in. This ensures the idle jet seats where it is supposed to.
    Eric - Sandy, Utah
    71 911
    914-6/GT
    914-6/ORV
    87 944 Spec 1
    Porsche Truck
    62 Beetle
    80 VW “Caddy” Pickup
    72 R75/5 Toaster Tank
    PMB Performance
    We'll Make Your Calipers New Again
    Love Us On Facebook