Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone ever had Porsche correct a mistake on a COA...

Has anyone ever had Porsche correct a mistake on a COA...

I have come across a 71S that needs restored. Owner claims numbers matching but the COA says different. However, the COA and the case are only 11 digits away. He claims that he 'knows someone' who can get Porsche to change the COA.

Ever heard of this?

(BTW, this is the 3rd time someone told me this was doable without telling me how)

This "someone" might know how to change the COA, but he wont be able to change the Kardex.
    The Kardex is kept at the factory and is the period document of the car's built sheet, in this case from 1971.
    Registry member No.773

gottcha...

Side note, I had a very very well known dealer (from SoCal) tell me he had a way to change the Kardex. I am not making that up.

Then he changed a paper copy. Or, he was able to beam himself back in time to write something on it in person .
    Last edited by 911T1971; 02-22-2014 at 02:48 PM.
    Registry member No.773

It would not hurt to call the 800 number and speak with them. While I don't know about changing information, to get the production date on my COA they told me to send a picture of my compliance decal in the door jamb. Same with the MSRP if you have the original window sticker from the dealer, unfortunately I did not have that so it is listed as Information Not Available.
    E Sully
    1973.5 911T

Don't know if it qualifies, but when I once got a COA completely wrong, I complained at my local Porsche dealer and they returned a few weeks later with the correct one, but in this case the error was macroscopic...my 73S appeared to be black instead of green, US delivered (I had history from day 1 in Italy) and with sunroof!
    Andrea
    Early S registry #1082

Still amazed that all the connaiseurs over here don't know that the CoA is just, and only that, a manual copy of the Kardex.
    And because of the fact that German is not widely spoken, many errors are made...

Forget the COA, get the Kardex.
    Every Official Porsche Dealer has access to them.
    They all were on mico-fiche, but I guess the probably have been scanned these days.
    Slate Gray, Red Leather, 1968 912 HWT

There are some extremely slimy threads developing around here lately.
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Quote Originally Posted by varunan123 View Post
    Except for your self promoting best 69S,,,,,, is there a better 69s than yours ...... Not.

Actually there is they just don't post

Raj
    I don't know what to make of that comment. It feels sorta personal. Maybe I am misreading it.

I wish more people would post about their cars and less about how they feel about someone else's. There's some psychology there, just don't have the desire to articulate it.

3 threads to choose from:
    1. I know a guy that can change a COA
    2. What's wrong with grafting a VIN onto another chassis
    3. Member x y or z sharing their car in an open and enthusiastic way.

I like reading and contributing to choice #3 threads. But I still learn a lot from #1 and #2. It's just not car stuff... more psychology/as the world turns/soap opera. How people view the world, morals, ethics, etc. Lately it's been sorta depressing.

P.S. I know of a completely original 18,000 mile 69S with cosmoline still on the undercarriage and part numbers stenciled on the suspension components. It's beautiful. It doesn't have its driver's side door replaced like my car, and it is running its original transmission (unlike mine and your old yellow 69S).
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Interesting threads

My 2 cents worth: I was talking to the manager of a Porsche dealer body shop regarding getting a body off respray on my 66 and I was telling him that the body panels and one door are original as they have the correct three digits stamped into them and he said that it was common practice for dealers, when replacing panels with stamped numbers, to restamp the new panels with the 'correct' numbers as they had all the stamps necessary and that it helped maintain the integrity of the car...

Not sure if he was trying to deflate the value I placed in having what I thought were the original panels or just stating an obvious fact...

But it is germane to the discussion... If a main dealer regularly stamped new panels and (according to other comments on this and other threads) blank engine cases, then the whole thing gets a little sketchy.

But I guess the provenance then becomes interesting as I have ALL the paperwork with my car since the first owner sold it in 1973... So I can trace back to the new door panel (1975) which wasn't installed at a main dealer so it has a two digit number which relates, I am guessing, to something other than year of manufacture?

Maybe this is where the value of all those pesky bits of paper comes in... The value of proven provenance over the lifetime of the car has to be taken into consideration and must add $value...

The parallels are there in the art and antique world: traceable ownership and documented history add significantly: the same should work in our 'hobby' world.

So far, on this and other threads, I have seen plenty of opinions as to what is right and what is wrong, but surely documentation of the car's overall history has to be an important factor? (and more difficult to fake than welding in a VIN plate)...
    Last edited by StephenAcworth; 02-22-2014 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Typo
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616