Our friend Frank Beck (Beck’s Independent Porsche Shop – Chandler AZ.) has come up with a very interesting and mysterious car… I’ll relay his e-mails and pics…

Frank to me...

Info as follows:
V.I.N. 119123557 (2 chassis #'s from the very last '69). Kardex shows Tangerine '69 911T with virtually no options.

Description as follows: 1970 911 coupe body with S auxiliary oil cooler system with original hard lines (impossible to install after car is built unless door jambs and rocker panels are completely removed), 8484 Metallic Blue original paint (door jamb plate confirms), tan leatherette, original tan carpets, 2.2S engine #6302248 (911/02), 5 speed #7100251, '70/'71 model sport seats, correct fog lights. There is no evidence of V.I.N. plate tampering or any body panel replacement.

I spoke to the Navy Officer who purchased the car in Italy as a 911S and imported it to the states in 1984. He knew of no pre existing modifications prior to purchase.
There you have it. Thanks in advance for your help.

Then he wrote….

Chuck,
I 'm forwarding an email that I've sent to PCNA after they sent me the wrong Kardex. The long and short of it is that I have a car with a V.I.N. that in NO WAY matches the Kardex. The bizarre thing is that the V.I.N. doesn't match the car either! (Indicates a 1969 911T- I assure you that this car is NOT a '69 T- no eng harness plug panel in forward eng bay, upper front strut mounting points different than '69, etc.)
This car appears to be a 1970 911S. My hunch is that it's a very late '69 that was built with '70 tooling and optioned out with S running gear (Rally cars were often ordered this way).

I've been exposed to quite a bit of 116 octane race fuel these days but I'm confident that it hasn't affected my brain yet. This is the kookiest thing that I've run across in a long time.
I'm not ready to post pics on the internet (no time to answer emails).
Any thoughts?

Best regards,
Frank Beck

Then finally…

Greetings Chuck,
I hope that you had a wonderful Christmas.

Back to my 911 dilemma I'm hoping you might help me with. Would you mind posting the scenario and pics? Registry people don't know me from Adam and I'm afraid that it wouldn't go very far if I brought it up. I would like to believe that PCNA is the final word but their info makes absolutely no sense. This is not a Holy Grail quest. I don't have delusions of having the 8th Porsche wonder of the world but quite frankly at this point the car is nothing but a collection of bits.
Here's what I know so far: A Navy officer imported the car from Italy in 1984 (I spoke to him). He installed the later "S" spoiler, '75 door mirror, performed rust repair and had the exterior painted. All other equipment was as delivered. He sold the car a couple of years ago. I apologize for the poor photo quality. I have not touched this car since taking possession of it several months ago.

Let’s see if we can help old Frank figure this one out …