Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: New F1 culture/rules

Very nice Oak tree guardrails.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Quote Originally Posted by beh911 View Post
    The Matra V12.

I came across a piece recently where Mario Andretti waxed philosophical on that being the best sounding engine of all time in F1.
    YouTube video and computer speakers do not do it justice, but still ...
    <iframe width="750" height="422" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/v9yhbiPC65U?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I shot this pic of the Ligier Matra V12 in 82 (which I think was the last year of the Matra) from the roof of Cobo Hall in Detroit with a 1000mm mirror lens! The sound echoing off those downtown buildings was incredible.
    82 Detroit GP Ligier Matra Laffite.jpg

nemo me impune lacessit Kris Clewell's Avatar
    where can I hear that car in person? I'm going there. Neat shot too!
    -Kris Clewell

Professional photojournalist

red decklid club member #1

I may be in the minority, but I like the new formula 1 just fine. Low downforce, dodgy tires and too much torque is OK. It's a completely new engine formula with relatively new technology. Some details still need to be fine tuned. I was, frankly, surprised that more than half the starters actually finished. While I agree the the engines are perhaps a bit unnecessarily complicated, they are pretty fascinating.

Getting all those systems to work together smoothly will be a big challenge, but also a chance to fine-tune the drivetrain for the drivers who can use it most effectively, not unlike how Vettel tapped the nuances of last year's RB. That's the potential unfair advantage.

The engines don't sound great, but they don't sound bad, either. I like that you can hear some of the other things happening, like the transmissions and tires. And that the engines actually sound a little different from each other. It's not that different from what's been running at Le Mans for a few years now.

Red Bull's problem seems to be not so much dodgy tech (which may well be a problem) as willfully ignoring direct instructions from Charlie Whiting and the FIA, which, right or wrong, is a sure-fire way to attract trouble.

Anything Bernie says is more likely about lining his own pockets than what's good for the sport. I don't like the designated hitter rule, but I don't think it ruins baseball (much) and don't go on about it constantly. Maybe if I were an indicted billionaire I'd feel differently, but...

As a long-time McLaren fan, it was great to see Jenson and "Young Kevin Magnussen" showing some real pace. Now if only they had a title sponsor to pay for all this raciness...

And finally, for the record, I called Alonso for champion just before qually started. My wife and Twitter are witnesses. I don't think they actually have the pace, but Fernando is wily and persistent. Admittedly, it looks like a long-shot now. Time will tell.
    Terrence Dorsey

nemo me impune lacessit Kris Clewell's Avatar
    with the turbo being run by its own electric motor, I imagine the torque curve can be programmed to not be that much of a problem.
    -Kris Clewell

Professional photojournalist

red decklid club member #1

Quote Originally Posted by CurtEgerer View Post
    <iframe width="750" height="422" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/v9yhbiPC65U?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I shot this pic of the Ligier Matra V12 in 82 (which I think was the last year of the Matra) from the roof of Cobo Hall in Detroit with a 1000mm mirror lens! The sound echoing off those downtown buildings was incredible.
    Nicely done.
    David

911 S Registry # 1054
    1970 911 E Coupe Signal Orange (#1414)
    1979 BMW 320i
    2001 Boxster S
    2003 Audi Allroad 2.7T Tiptronic
    2014 Jetta Sportwagon TDI DSG ( sold back to Volkswagen)
    2015 Allroad 2.0 TFSI

I'm surprised they got the BRM to run for over a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by CurtEgerer View Post

That's the piece I was referring to. Intoxicating sound

Nice photo btw
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

out of all the F1 cars i have owned the noise from the early 2000,s are the most ear splitting

Quote Originally Posted by Digital K View Post
    with the turbo being run by its own electric motor, I imagine the torque curve can be programmed to not be that much of a problem.
    Turbo-chargers are exhaust-gas driven…………….what electric motor ?

JZG
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 03-23-2014 at 03:39 AM.
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers