Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ideal close-ratio gearset for street 71S?

Ideal close-ratio gearset for street 71S?

I have a 71S. I’d like to drop 2nd gear, space 2-3-4 ideally for the peaky powerband so it doesn’t drop below 5200rpm and have an essentially stock 5th. What 901 gearset would you recommend?

If I move from 185/70/15s to 205/66/16s how will this effect gearing?

[https://tiresize.com/comparison/

You probably have a GA 2nd. A F second is a little lower. There are a lot of F's out there. I have one and would sell it or trade for your GA.
    Chris
    1959 Auratium Green 356A Super w/ Rudge wheels
    1970 Irish Green 914-6 w/2.2S
    Current -1967 Bahama Yellow 912 POLO 2cam4 #1
    www.reSeeWorks.com
    Personalized Vintage Porsche's and parts
    I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself-Ferdinand Porsche

Agaovza->afjos
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

There is no ideal gearset . What kind of streets are you driving on ? Flat ? Hilly ? For flat I would say AFMSX , a stock S would be A GA O V ZA .

This is for driving in the mountains, and I’d like 2nd to pull hard out of tight, uphill turns. Mainly going from Julian to Palm Springs, or up the 79 all the way to Idyllwild, Big Bear, Lake Arrowhead and Angeles Crest Forrest. But stock fifth is nice for the highways between. I’m driving it all the way up from San Diego to Portland along the 1 and then the 101 all the way.

The main issue is 2nd is too long, and I’d like it tightly packed 1-4 and then as close to stock 5th as reasonable.

Does someone have a list of the 901 gears? I have a chart showing headsets for hill climb, airport etc but don’t know what the gears in them mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Robofc View Post
    Does someone have a list of the 901 gears? I have a chart showing headsets for hill climb, airport etc but don’t know what the gears in them mean?
    See this thread:
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...gearbox-901-80

Name:  69+71specs+Trans+type1148157281.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  143.4 KB

Name:  901 Trans ID.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  76.4 KB
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

I had an AFMSX gearbox on my 2.2S engined hotrod and had a hankering for a shorter 3-4. I rebuilt a gearbox with the same ratio to an AFKQX and love the shorter 3 and 4. I kind of wish I installed a longer 5th like a Z or maybe a ZA for the highway cruising, but that may be too large of a jump from the Q 4th.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

This chart might help.
    Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    1959 Auratium Green 356A Super w/ Rudge wheels
    1970 Irish Green 914-6 w/2.2S
    Current -1967 Bahama Yellow 912 POLO 2cam4 #1
    www.reSeeWorks.com
    Personalized Vintage Porsche's and parts
    I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself-Ferdinand Porsche

I have an E,K,Q,V setup with a 904 main-shaft stored away for the rainy day that hasn't happened. A friend used it in an auto-x terror he ran back in the day. Behind a 2.7 he was pretty hard to beat unless you showed up in a 908, which happened to him at a Porsche Parade.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111