Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is this Bracket for? ...... on a 69t LWB

Thank you much appreciated.....

Lee,
    a little investigation may tell you something - remove the two bolts holding the bracket on - what's between the bracket and the fender?

If it's just paint it was installed prior to the under coating - could be a factory part.

If it has layer of under coating between the parts - it was installed at a later date than manufacture.
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

Quote Originally Posted by Bobs 67S View Post
    Lee,
    a little investigation may tell you something - remove the two bolts holding the bracket on - what's between the bracket and the fender?

If it's just paint it was installed prior to the under coating - could be a factory part.

If it has layer of under coating between the parts - it was installed at a later date than manufacture.
    Great idea Bob, will do!

Along those lines, I expect the factory would have welded studs onto the inner fender rather than drilling through for bolts... something else to look for.
    Mike de Jong | '71 911T/E 2.4 Tangerine | '74 911S 3.2 Ice Green

Thanks will look and let you know...cheers lee

the nuts are spinning on the thread so cannot remove, looks like I will have to wait for the factory to come back with their findings.
    cheers Lee

Ok so after all this time I've found out the bracket is for an electrical antenna, very early Bosch type which has a motor installed on the bracket separate from the aerial. Think this type was also installed on late 356's.

I have a hole in my dash under my dials for a pull switch and wondered if this could have been used to operate the antenna?

What do you think?

Thanks Lee

By 'under dash' do you mean in this area circled? If so, that's the standard place for rear wiper switch. If it's on other side of instruments in similar spot you are talking about the odometer reset knurled nut.

Name:  Rear Wiper Switch.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  115.6 KB
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  137.5 KB

Hello,

Here is the hole I am talking about, you can see the reset odometer in background.
    I wondered if this hole was used for an antenna pull switch but don't know If the early
    type antennas used a pull switch to operate, maybe it was used for Fogs?

What ever was there seemed to have taken an area of paint off?

BTW: RHD

Cheers lee
    Last edited by leedurrant73; 03-27-2013 at 01:46 AM.

Electric Antenna

Hey, Lee . . .

Excellent + timely post --- I'm in the same boat . . . my car came w/ an electric antenna --- see post #443
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ty-nine/page45

Some comments . . .

1) I'm not familiar w/ Dealer shop practices but it seems to me that the placement of the electric antenna has more to do w/ the space requirements of the unit and what's available in the two fender wells; with the fuel fill taking-up space on the left --- the right would seem more attractive

2) I've spoken w/ several people who've told me that the power antenna was activated w/ the ignition --- whether the radio was turned-on or not. Prolly explains why I've never seen this install on any pre-mid-'70s Porsche in 30-some years. If these things really popped-up every time the car was driven, then I would believe that all factory electric antennas are long dead/replaced/forgotten

3) If you can find-out what your car's option codes are, here's a thread . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...%2C+71%2C+911T

Short Version . . .
    ...option code 441 = power antenna
    ...codes 461-thru-468 are factory radio installs that include a power antenna

And thank you for your pics! Now, I've gotta check-&-see if my car has any bracketry up that right-side fender well

We Can Be Heroes